Monday, January 5, 2009

Commercials Which Bother Me

We all have them. Those irksome commercials that flash before our eyes with no warning and proceed to annoy the living snot out of us. I was lucky enough to encounter one such advertisement earlier this evening, and just had to share.

The Morning After Pill (or Plan B, or back up better than the A-word, or your own personal ticket to hell, however you want to think of it) is new, poorly understood and thus controversial. I am a proud liberal but I'm also a firm believer in the "live and let live" mentality, so I won't dilute this post with my own opinions on this topic. Suffice to say, I'm glad it's an option to those who need it. What I have a problem with, however, is the way a recent marketing campaign highlights how the modern everyday woman can rely on this little pill to get her out of those, *ahem*, sticky situations.

Now, who wouldn't want one of these?


Yeah, me neither. So I can appreciate taking the appropriate measure to ensure having one of these does not happen. The commercial that really irks me, though, only shows one half of the combo needed to procreate. In the ad, there are 5 separate females waking up in 5 separate bedrooms, each shaking her head like she's made...well, a bad life choice. Which, granted, having unprotected sex is if you aren't trying to enlarge our already swollen population. Anyway, the thing that really bothers me is that each and every one of these women wakes up in bed ALONE. As in, only girls who sleep around with random men so much that they can't even bother with inviting them to spend the night will need this pill. It also implies that birth control is solely up to the female, and if the condom breaks, well then you're on your own toots. C'mon! Couldn't they have shown at least one guy around, even if the worry and anxiety on his face is clearly an act? Or are they really only trying to market this pill to those with loose...morals? I mean, I'm all for women taking control of their lives and not having to rely on men for constant support, but the last thing we need is the media making it seem like it's fine and dandy for ladies to be the only ones to worry with this issue. Don't let this commercial fool you - an unwanted pregnancy affects many people besides the woman with the womb!

No comments:

Post a Comment